*Updated November 2015*
Standing atop a giant wedding cake float, Aubrey Loots and Danny Leclair exchanged vows New Year’s Day in the first same-sex marriage during the Tournament of Roses Parade. Throngs of spectators cheered as the men, dressed in dark suits, faced each other and held hands before the Rev. Alfreda Lanoix, who officiated the ceremony aboard the AIDS Healthcare Foundation float.” This was a 2014 report by The Associated Press. It is now clear that the year 2014 ushered in a new era of homosexual acceptance within the United States of America.
Only weeks after the Rose Parade, the nation was again exposed to a live same-sex wedding ceremony on national television. According to The Washington Post, “Thirty-three gay and straight couples got married at the Grammy Awards on Sunday in a public ceremony officiated by Queen Latifah and soundtracked, appropriately, by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ same-sex marriage anthem ‘Same Love.’”
Today it is nearly impossible to avoid the issue of homosexuality. It is continually paraded before every stratum of society. In fact, according to a 2008 World Net Daily article titled “Decision to Teach Kids to be ‘Gay’ Allowed to Stand”:
A federal court decision approving mandatory public school instruction for children as young as kindergarten in how to be homosexual is being allowed to stand, … The U.S. Supreme Court without comment has refused to intervene in a case prompted by the actions of officials at Eastbrook Elementary school in Lexington, Mass., who not only were teaching homosexuality to young children, but specifically refused to allow Christian parents to opt their children out of the indoctrination. … The dispute grabbed headlines when Parker, on April 27, 2005, “was arrested and thrown in jail by school officials over his insistence on being notified regarding his son in kindergarten being taught about homosexual relationships by adults,” Mass Resistance reported. … “The [Supreme] court did not even bother to notify the Parkers or their attorneys,” said Mass Resistance, which said what now will be enforced in the judicial district will be the lower bench rulings that the state has not only the right but “even the obligation … to promote homosexual relationships to young children.”
Shocking as it may be that a father would be arrested for insisting that he be notified regarding his son in kindergarten being taught about homosexual relationships, it is perhaps even more shocking to realize that we have a President of the United States of America who has declared that homosexual sex-education for kindergarteners is “just the right thing to do.” Something that would have been unimaginable a few decades ago is somehow now “just the right thing to do” and is supported by the highest government official in our country. Certainly, we have crossed a threshold into a paradigm shift for our country as relates to the issue of homosexuality.
Today children as young as six can attend cross-dressing camps that teach them to embrace their “gender variation,” and a 2006 New York Times article reports, “Children as young as 5 who display predispositions to dress like the opposite sex are being supported by a growing number of young parents, educators and mental health professionals.” In fact, a 2008 World Net Daily headline reads, “3rd-graders Asked to Help Classmate in Gender Change: Parents Given 1-day Notice of Presentation Explaining Boy Would Now Wear Girl Clothes.” Not surprisingly with headlines like this, a transvestite superhero cartoon is targeting children between the ages of two and 11, and the election of transvestite prom kings and queens is proving to be a growing trend in American high schools. Even the Boy Scouts of America have succumbed to the pressure of embracing homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle that may be flaunted before young children.
The pressure to embrace homosexuality is enormous and widespread. In 2013, Pope Francis shocked the world when he referenced a “gay lobby” in the Vatican and implied that active unrepentant homosexuals can be Christians accepted by God. Likewise, United States President Barack Obama has publicly supported homosexuality, not only in America but also internationally. And a growing number of Christian denominations are embracing homosexuality.
Most recently, the homosexual debate has focused on the definition of “marriage” and “family.” The Internal Revenue Service began recognizing same-sex marriages from all 50 states even before the Supreme Court ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges. The U.S. Department of Education has replaced “father” and “mother” on the FAFSA form with “parent 1” and “parent 2,” and the U.S. State Department has made similar gender neutral changes on passport application forms. In 2013, the majority of the U.S. Senate endorsed same-sex marriage, and Barak Obama became the first sitting U.S. President to publically endorse same-sex marriage. Most Importantly, in a 5-4 ruling on Obergefell v. Hodges, the Supreme Court declared on June 26, 2015 that the U.S. Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage. Therefore, despite the fact that only eight states permitted same-sex marriages at the beginning of 2013, today same-sex marriages are legal in all 50 states of the Union.
In a sense it is as if America is in the process of coming out of the closet. Graphic homosexual relationships are openly portrayed on popular television shows, and songs such as Katy Perry’s “I Kissed A Girl” top the music chart. Even in the world of hip-hop rap homosexuality is beginning to be accepted. According to a 2011 Pew Research Center publication, Americans are becoming progressively supportive of homosexual marriages with an 8–9% rise in approval for each successive generation. With our nation becoming increasingly accepting of homosexuality and moving ever-closer to embracing the legal judgment that same-sex marriages are both legal and a human right, it is imperative that Christians know what the Bible has to say regarding this issue.
This article is excerpted from the book Laid Bare: Uncovering the Relationship Between Homosexuality & the Gospel.
1. “125th Rose Parade Hosts its First Same-sex Wedding.” Detroit News. January 1, 2014. Accessed January 3, 2014.
2. Dewey, Caitlin. “Love Stories from the Couples Who Got Married at the Grammys.” The Washington Post. January 28, 2014. Accessed February 1, 2014. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/01/28/love-stories-from-the-couples-who-got-married-at-the-grammys/.
3. Unruh, Bob. “Decision to Teach Kids to be ‘Gay’ Allowed to Stand.” World Net Daily, October 8, 2008. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.wnd.com/2008/10/77373/.
4. Starnes, Todd. “Obama Supports Kindergarten Sex Ed.” Fox News Radio. Accessed June 12, 2014. http://radio.foxnews.com/2010/07/13/obama-supports-kindergarten-sex-ed/.
5. Andersen, Kirsten. “Crossdressing Camp for Boys as Young as Six Draws Criticism from Christian Leaders.” LifeSiteNews, July 17, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/crossdressing-camp-for-boys-as-young-as-six-draws-criticism-from-christian/.
6. Brown, Patricia. “Supporting Boys or Girls when the Line Isn’t Clear.” The New York Times, December 2, 2006. Accessed June 12, 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/02/us/02child.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.
7. “3rd-Graders Asked to Help Classmate in Gender Change.” World Net Daily, May 10, 2008. Accessed June 12, 2014. http://www.wnd.com/2008/05/63978/.
8. Hall, Randy. “Transvestite Superhero Cartoon to Debut on Children’s Network The Hub.” News Busters Blog, May 29, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://newsbusters.org/blogs/randy-hall/2013/05/29/cross-dressing-preteen-superhero-coming-childrens-cable-tv-channel.
9. “Transgender Student in Huntington Beach Named Homecoming Queen.” CBS Los Angeles, September 20, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/09/20/transgender-student-in-huntington-beach-could-make-history/.
10. Cassidy Campbell is only one example within a growing trend of transgender prom queens: Andrew Viveros (Rothaus, Steve. “Transgender McFatter Senior Crowned Prom Queen.” The Miami Herald, May 30, 2011. Accessed June 18, 2014. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2011/05/transgender-mcfatter-senior-crowned-prom-queen.html.); Cody Tubman (Leamanczyk, Lauren. “Transgender Teen Voted Prom Queen at Middleboro High.” CBS Boston WBZ-TV, May 31, 2013. Accessed June 18, 2014. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/transgender-teen-voted-prom-queen-at-middleboro-high/.); Destiny Hartis (Rector, Kevin. “Transgender Student Named Prom Queen at Baltimore High School.” The Baltimore Sun, May 28, 2014. Accessed June 18, 2014. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-05-28/features/bs-gm-digital-harbor-high-elects-transgender-prom-queen-20140528_1_prom-queen-digital-harbor-high-school-transgender.); Nasir Fleming (Wong, Curtis. “Nasir Fleming, Gay Connecticut Teen, Wins Prom Queen at Danbury High School (VIDEO).” The Huffington Post, May 27, 2014. Accessed June 18, 2014. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/27/nasir-fleming-gay-prom-queen-_n_5398653.html.)
11. “Boy Scouts Approve Plan to Accept Openly Gay Members,” Fox News, May 24, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/23/boy-scouts-approve-plan-to-accept-openly-gay-members/.
12. Corvino, John. “A Papal Surprise: Humility.” The New York Times, July 30, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/30/opinion/a-papal-surprise-humility.html?_r=0.
13. President Barack Obama speaking: “At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.” (Calms, Jackie and Peter Baker. “Obama Says Same-sex Marriage Should be Legal.” The New York Times, May 9, 2012. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us/politics/obama-says-same-sex-marriage-should-be-legal.html?pagewanted=all.)
14. President Barack Obama speaking: “Well, first of all, I think the Supreme Court ruling yesterday was not simply a victory for the LGBT community, it’s a victory for American democracy. I believe at the root of who we are as a people, who we are as Americans is the basic precept that we are all equal under the law. We believe in basic fairness. And what I think yesterday’s ruling signifies is one more step towards ensuring that those basic principles apply to everybody. … Now, this topic did not come up in the conversation that I had with President Sall in a bilateral meeting. But let me just make a general statement. The issue of gays and lesbians, and how they’re treated, has come up and has been controversial in many parts of Africa. So I want the African people just to hear what I believe, and that is that every country, every group of people, every religion have different customs, different traditions. And when it comes to people’s personal views and their religious faith, et cetera, I think we have to respect the diversity of views that are there. But when it comes to how the state treats people, how the law treats people, I believe that everybody has to be treated equally. I don’t believe in discrimination of any sort. That’s my personal view. And I speak as somebody who obviously comes from a country in which there were times when people were not treated equally under the law, and we had to fight long and hard through a civil rights struggle to make sure that happens. So my basic view is that regardless of race, regardless of religion, regardless of gender, regardless of sexual orientation, when it comes to how the law treats you, how the state treats you — the benefits, the rights and the responsibilities under the law — people should be treated equally. And that’s a principle that I think applies universally, and the good news is it’s an easy principle to remember. Every world religion has this basic notion that is embodied in the Golden Rule — treat people the way you want to be treated. And I think that applies here as well.” (Capehart, Jonathan. “Obama Comes Out for Gays in Africa.” The Washington Post, June 27, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/06/27/obama-comes-out-for-gays-in-africa/.)
15. Wikipedia. “LGBT-affirming Christian Denominations.” Last updated February 5, 2015. Accessed February 6, 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT-affirming_Christian_denominations.
16. “Treasury and IRS Announce that All Legal Same-Sex Marriages Will be Recognized for Federal Tax Purposes; Ruling Provides Certainty, Benefits and Protections Under Federal Tax Law for Same-Sex Married Couples.” Internal Revenue Service, August 29, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Treasury-and-IRS-Announce-That-All-Legal-Same-Sex-Marriages-Will-Be-Recognized-For-Federal-Tax-Purposes%3B-Ruling-Provides-Certainty,-Benefits-and-Protections-Under-Federal-Tax-Law-for-Same-Sex-Married-Couples.
17. Chasmar, Jessica. “Education Dept. Eliminates ‘Father,’ ‘Mother’ from Student Aid Forms.” The Washington Times, May 9, 2013. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/9/education-dept-eliminates-father-mother-student-ai/.
18. Starnes, Todd. “‘Mother,’ ‘Father’ Changing to ‘Parent One,’ Parent Two’ on Passport Applications.” Fox News, January 7, 2011. Accessed June 12, 2014. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/07/passport-applications-soon-gender-neutral/.
19. Miller, Sunlen. “Majority of Senate Supports Same-Sex Marriage.” ABC News, April 2, 2013. Accessed November 2, 2015. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/04/another-gop-senator-endorses-same-sex-marriage/.
20. Mason, Jeff. “Same-sex Couples Should be Able to Marry: Obama.” Chicago Tribune, May 9, 2012. Accessed November 2, 2015. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-09/news/sns-rt-us-usa-campaign-obama-gaymarriagebre84818y-20120509_1_gay-marriage-civil-unions-lesbian-couples.
21. Liptak, Adam. “Supreme Court Ruling Makes Same-sex Marriage a Right Nationwide.” The New York Times, June 26, 2015. Accessed November 2, 2015. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage.html?_r=0.
22. Examples: House, Smash, The Tudors, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, How to Get Away with Murder, etc.
23. Official Charts Company. “Katy Perry.” Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/katy%20perry/.
24. Zimmerman, Neetzan. “The World’s First Pro-Gay Rap Song is Actually Not Half Bad.” Gawker, May 3, 2012. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://gawker.com/5907362/the-worlds-first-pro+gay-rap-song-is-actually-not-half-bad.
25. “Angry Silents, Disengaged Millennials: The Generation Gap and the 2012 Election.” Pew Research Center, November 3, 2011. Accessed March 18, 2014. http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-pdf/11-3-11%20Generations%20Release.pdf.