Ironically, Americans are among the most anxious and least happy people in the world, despite being obsessed with personal happiness. Our relentless pursuit of pleasure has produced a culture defined by materialism, selfishness, pride, immorality, anger, retribution, and increasing lawlessness. Indeed, our quest to cast aside all moral restraints in pursuit of hedonistic euphoria has only unleashed societal chaos.
Despite the increasing difficulties that have ensued, our society refuses to turn back to God. Much like the ancient Israelites, we are a rebellious people who have chosen to ignore God’s instructions and to stiffen our necks in response to His correction (Deut. 31:26–27; Jer. 17:23). Far from changing course, we have doubled down in our efforts:
- Our judiciary rules in opposition to God’s law; our Congress legislates in opposition to God’s commands; our educational system undermines God’s truth, and our entertainment industry regularly celebrates what God condemns.
- Our national media goes out of its way to excuse and protect nearly every expression of profanity, obscenity, and hatred expressed through social media, activism, art, and entertainment.
- Magazines, movies, television, and streaming shows promote premarital sex, adultery, polyamory, homosexuality, transgenderism, and even bestiality.
- Unwilling to promote abstinence, our nation provides condoms to students as young as ten and vaccinations against sexually transmitted diseases to 11-year-olds.
- New York legislators offered a standing ovation after legalizing abortion up to the point of birth. Worse yet, United States legislators refuse to protect babies born alive after failed abortions.
- We have legalized, celebrated, and championed homosexuality and transgenderism—practices portrayed in the Bible as the most flagrant acts of rebellion against God and His created design and purpose for human relationships.
- Drag queen story hours are regular occurrences in libraries throughout our nation.
- We’ve legalized assisted suicide in numerous states.
- Our state governments incentivize gambling, smoking, drinking, and drug use. The majority of states now offer needle exchange programs to drug addicts, and some go so far as to provide safe spaces for injecting heroin.
Having chosen a path of rebellion, our nation finds itself on a perilous trajectory. Our cultural pursuits are at odds with God. As such, we are headed for an inevitable conflict with our Creator if we do not change course.
This article comes from Heart of a Forerunner: How to Be a Relevant and Influential Voice in a Wayward Nation
Download your free copy here.
1. Semnani, Neda. “Americans Obsessed with Their Own Happiness Overlook the Key Ingredient to a Good Life.” News. Washington Post, October 7, 2016, 7:00 a.m., EDT. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/10/07/americans-obsessed-with-their-own-happiness-overlook-the-key-ingredient-to-a-good-life/.
2. Ingraham, Christopher. “Americans Are Becoming Less Happy, and There’s Research to Prove It.” Science. Los Angeles Times, March 23, 2019, 5:00 a.m., PT. https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-americans-less-happy-20190323-story.html.
3. Tsoulis-Reay, Alexa. “What It’s Like to Date a Horse.” New York Magazine, November 20, 2014. Accessed November 21, 2014. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/11/what-its-like-to-date-a-horse.html.
4. Impelli, Matthew. “Condoms Placed in Elementary Schools Sparks Online Debate.” U.S. Newsweek, July 6, 2021, 6:00 p.m., EDT. https://www.newsweek.com/condoms-placed-elementary-schools-sparks-online-debate-1607352.
5. “Vaccine (Shot) for Human Papillomavirus.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, n.d. Accessed January 5, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/diseases/hpv.html.
6. McGuire, Ashley. “Most Americans Don’t Want a Standing Ovation for Abortions Until Birth. But Democrats Do.” Opinion. USA Today, January 30, 2019, 6:00 a.m., ET. https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/01/30/new-york-abortion-law-liberal-leaders-celebration-death-life-column/2670049002/.
7. DeBonis, Mike and Felicia Sonmez. “Senate Blocks Bill on Medical Care for Children Born Alive after Attempted Abortion.” Politics. Washington Post, February 25, 2019. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/senate-blocks-bill-on-medical-care-for-children-born-alive-after-attempted-abortion/2019/02/25/e5d3d4d8-3924-11e9-a06c-3ec8ed509d15_story.html.
8. Drag Queen Story Hour. https://www.dragqueenstoryhour.org.
9. “Libraries Respond: Drag Queen Story Hour.” American Library Association, n.d. Accessed July 15, 2022. https://www.ala.org/advocacy/libraries-respond-drag-queen-story-hour.
10. Villeneuve, Marina. “Maine Becomes 8th State to Legalize Assisted Suicide.” AP News, June 12, 2019. https://apnews.com/article/legislation-augusta-health-us-news-ap-top-news-7f0fe9d789294a02852c1669c892f382.
11. “Needle Exchange Programs Promote Public Safety.” American Civil Liberties Union, n.d. Accessed January 5, 2022. https://www.aclu.org/fact-sheet/needle-exchange-programs-promote-public-safety.
12. Lopez, German. “Why Some US Cities Are Opening Safe Spaces for Injecting Heroin.” Drugs. CNBC News, January 25, 2018, 12:06 p.m., EST. Last updated January 25, 2018, 12:06 p.m., EST. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/why-some-us-cities-are-opening-safe-spaces-for-injecting-heroin.html.
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved. Biblegateway.com.